Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Junipers' Birth Story

After talking with Jon and my mom I have decided I need to write out my story of what happened with Junipers' birth to be completely at one with my self as a whole to deliver this baby properly, so here it is.

I was measuring about a week ahead on the measuring tape for about 6 weeks now. So at 36 weeks my OB decided I maybe carrying a big baby and asked if I would like another ultrasound I of course was excited to see the pictures as I knew the office had a 3D/4D US machine! So the day of the US I was 36wk 3days and according to her femur length and other measurements she was already aprx. 9.5lbs. My OB said I could deliver if my body went into labor before 39 weeks. I began having contractions, not bad at all, continuous and got my dilated to 2 centimeters and then stopped. This was the 38th week of my pregnancy. On that Friday my OB said unfortunately if I did not go into labor that weekend I would have a c-section scheduled for Monday morning, I would be 38wk 6days.

The weekend came and went and it was 5:30am and time to get up and go to the hospital. I arrived @ 6am with Jon and got my IV and BP checked and everything was perfect. I was supposed to go in @ 7:30am but because of an emergency CS I was wheeled in @ 8am. Jon was not allowed back in the OR with me at first and that was horrid my support for the last nine months was gone when I needed him most. The anesthesiologist came in to do my spinal and I was so afraid of anything going into my back let alone anywhere near my spine. So I had asked him prior to entering the OR if he could explain the whole procedure as he preformed as it would ease my fears since my husband couldn't. I remind him of this in the OR and he agrees he says I am going to insert the needle now and my right leg jerked and went numb instantly I freaked as I thought he had paralyzed me. I said through crying my right leg is numb and he responded, "Is that all? Let me try inserting the needle again." No warning this time and my left leg jerked and went numb. My OB walked in at this point and I was sobbing almost hyperventilating because I was so scared by not knowing what was going on with my body. It seemed so foreign to me. My OB quickly told me that was all normal and he ran to get to tell a RN to get Jon. I had calmed by the time Jon entered the room. I was now strapped down on a cross like Jesus, I swear I felt I was being crucified. When I saw Jon I started crying again because I felt so violated and the surgery hadn't even started yet.

Then started my surgery and 7 minutes later my baby was born, both prior ultrasounds suggested girl but inconclusive. They whisked the baby away and as Jon and I had discussed he went with the baby. I asked my OB if it were indeed a girl and the attending OB and my OB both forgot to look. So I had to wait a bit for Jon to come out holding the baby before it was confirmed that Juniper was indeed a girl. She was healthy and average at 8lbs 4.6ozs and 21" long. After I was sewn and stapled up I was sent to the recovery room where they had Juniper screaming and I couldn't hold her. I am still not sure of why.

After about 40 minutes after being in the recovery room I began feeling real intense pain in spite of the fentanyl pump I was hooked up to and kept pushing the button for medication. I kept complaining to my two RN's that I was in pain and they kept saying I was just experiencing the spinal wearing off. They gave me two bolsters of medication in this time to help ease my pain and they did nothing. So after an hour and half after my surgery I was screaming in pain and couldn't handle it any longer one of the Rn's finally checked my fentanyl pump to discover it wasn't working the whole time. So after one and half hours after major abdominal surgery I had only received two minor doses of medication that touched absolutely none of my pain. By the time they realized it I had to be hooked to a constant and push at will morphine pump and receive a huge dose to get me down to a 6/10 on the pain scale. The RN's decided that since it had been nearly two hours since my surgery I should probably breastfeed since I refused to let them give her formula.

After another 2 hours in recovery and having June at my breast for that entire time I was moved to a hospital room. I had visitors off and on the rest of the day but was mentally and physically exhausted from the pain. Luckily Juniper was a superb nurser an my milk came in on my second day of nursing.

So that is it. That is why I hate CS's I am glad they here when they are medically necessary but mine was not. I took probably an hour to write this because I kept crying but I do feel better. Thanks.

No comments: